CNLS Postdoctoral Research Associate
Geophysical Fluid Mechanics
Office: TA-3, Bldg 1690, Room 123
Mail Stop: B258
Phone: (505) 665-1839
Fax: (505) 665-7652
- B.S. (2006) Mathematics, Brigham Young University
- Ph.D. (2012) Applied and Interdisciplinary Mathematics, thesis title "Topics in Geophysical Fluid Dynamics", University of Michigan
- Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
- High Performance Computing and Massively Parallel Applications
- Rayleigh Benard Convection
- Hydrodynamic Stability
- Analysis and Improvement of Global Climate and Ocean Models
Selected Recent Publications:
- Wang, X., Whitehead, J. P. A bound on the vertical transport of heat in the ultimate state of slippery convection at large Prandtl numbers,submitted to Journal of Fluid Mechanics , (2012),.
- Whitehead, J.P., Doering, C.R. and Wittenberg, R. Persistent logarithms: infinite Prandtl number convection with mixed thermal boundaries ,in preparation , (2012),.
- Whitehead, J.P., Jablonowski, C., Kent, J. and Rood, R.B.Potential Vorticity: A diagnostic tool for General Circulation Models, submitted to Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society ??, (2012),.
- Whitehead, J.P. and Doering, C.R.Rigid bounds on heat transport by a fluid between slippery boundaries, in press Journal of Fluid Mechanics, (2012),.
- Whitehead, J.P. and Doering, C.R.The ultimate regime of two-dimensional Rayleigh-Benard convection with stress-free boundaries, Physics Review Letters. 106,244501 (2011).
- Whitehead, J.P. Jablonowski, C., Rood, R.B. and Lauritzen, P.H. A stability analysis of divergence damping on a latitude-longitude grid,Monthly Weather Review, 139 (9),2976--2993 (2011).
- Whitehead, J.P. and Doering, C.R. Internal heating driven convection at infinite Prandtl number,Journal of Mathematical Physics,52,093101 (2011).