Ivan C. Christov
Richard P. Feynman Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellow
Applied Mathematics, Fluid Mechanics, Nonlinear Dynamics
Office: TA-3, Bldg 1690, Room 134
Mail Stop: B258
Phone: (505) 665-1830
Fax: (505) 665-2659
- S.B. (2005) Mathematics (Applied Option), Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- M.S. (2007) Mathematics, Texas A&M University
- Ph.D. (2011) Applied Mathematics, Northwestern University
- Professional Training:
- 2011-2013 NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Complex Fluids Group, Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University
- Complex and Nonlinear Systems: the study of the mechanics of natural phenomena using advanced mathematical techniques and state-of-the-art computational simulations; in particular: diffusion, mixing and self-organization of granular matter, flow in heterogeneous porous media, multiphase interfacial instabilities, fluid-structure interaction, shock-formation in compressible flows, viscoelastic flows and non-Newtonian rheology, dynamics of coherent structures in nonlinear wave equations, nonlinear Fourier analysis of physical data.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Christov, I.C., On a hierarchy of nonlinearly dispersive generalized KdV equations, Proceedings of the Estonian Academy of Sciences. to appear (2015). e-print arXiv:1501.01044.
- Zheng, Z., Guo, B., Christov, I.C., Celia, M.A., Stone, H.A., Flow regimes for fluid injection into a confined porous medium, Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 767, 881–909 (2015).
- Christov, I.C., Jordan, P.M., On an instability exhibited by the ballistic-diffusive heat conduction model of Xu and Hu, Proceedings of the Royal Society A. 470, 20130557 (2014).
- Al-Housseiny, T.T, Christov, I.C., Stone, H.A., Two-phase fluid displacement and interfacial instabilities under elastic membranes, Physical Review Letters. 111, 034502 (2013).
- Christov, I.C., Stone, H.A., Resolving a paradox of anomalous scalings in the diffusion of granular materials, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA. 109, 16012–16017, (2012).
- Christov, I.C., Ottino, J.M., Lueptow, R.M., From streamline jumping to strange eigenmodes: Bridging the Lagrangian and Eulerian pictures of the kinematics of mixing in granular flows, Physics of Fluids. 23, 103302 (2011).
- Christov, I.C., Ottino, J.M., Lueptow, R.M., Streamline jumping: A mixing mechanism, Physical Review E. 81, 046307 (2010).
- Christov, I., Popov, B., New non-oscillatory central schemes on unstructured triangulations for hyperbolic systems of conservation laws, Journal of Computational Physics. 227, 5736–5757 (2008).