CNLS Oppenheimer Fellow
CNLS and T4
Statistical Physics and out-of-equilibrium systems
Office: TA-3, Bldg 1690, Room 142
Mail Stop: B258
Phone: (505) 606-0334
- Out-of-equilibrium statistical mechanics
- Dynamics of memristive circuits
- Econophysics and ABM
- Complex Networks
See below some highlights from the recent paper ``Locality of interaction in planar memristive circuits":
Also, see my personal website here.
ONLINE WINTER SCHOOL ON SPECTRAL METHODS FOR COMPLEX SYSTEMS
Dates: Jan 21-30th 2019 - Still open for registration
- B.Science, Physics (2007) - Universita di Pisa, Italy
- M.Science, Theoretical Physics (2009) - Universita di Pisa, Italy
- PhD, Theoretical Physics (2012) - University of Waterloo, Canada
joint with Perimeter Institute (Waterloo) and Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Golm, Germany)
- 2012-2013 University of Oxford (at OCIAM Institute, joint with Santa Fe Institute), Oxford, UK
- 2013-2014 University College London, London, UK
- 2014-2016 Invenia Labs, Cambridge, UK (joint with London Institute for Mathematical Sciences, London)
- I am interested in non-equilibrium statistical mechanics and in particular in neuromorphic circuits.
I have recently focused on the properties of memristors and their collective behavior.
Memristors are 2-port passive devices, which have characteristics similar to a resistance, but exhibit a very nonlinear dynamical behavior.
Neuromorphic circuits are, in general, interesting for many reasons.
These provide in fact a valid alternative to the von Neumann architecture at the classical level (analog computation),
in particular in view of the need of building circuits which can serve as brain-computer interface.
My interests are in particular in the relaxation properties of the circuits under various conditions (AC or DC controlled),
exact solutions and the use of statistical mechanics to understand their asymptotic behavior.
In collaboration with Massimiliano Di Ventra and Fabio L. Traversa we derived an exact equation for
the internal memory dynamics of purely memristive circuits, which I use to derive formal results and connection
to both ordered and disordered Statistical Physics.
With Cristiano Nisoli, I explore the kinetical behavior of artificial spin ice, its memory and exotic behavior.
I began my research career studying Quantum Gravity as a PhD student at UWaterloo/Perimeter Institute,
but moved to Complex Systems after having completed my thesis with a title 'Quantum Pre-Geometry models for Quantum Gravity'.
I then got interested in the properties of dynamical graphs and in statistical mechanics.
I have nonetheless a broad range of interests: from percolation phenomena to econophysics and power grids, although always interested in the dynamical aspects.
Recently we have won an exploratory research grant to study the connection between the Ising model and memristive circuits, and the connection to optimization.
I also work on the connection between Ising models and exotic field theories.
Me, Andrey Lokhov, Carleton Coffrin, Magdalene Dale and Marc Vuffray won an ER to study optimization in memristive circuits.
Selected Recent Publications:
Full publication list on Google Scholar: here
- FC, C Nisoli, Computation via Interacting Magnetic Memory Bites: Integration of Boolean Gates , arXiv:1810.09190
- J McNerney et al, How production networks amplify economic growth, arXiv:1810.07774
- FC, JP Carbajal,Memristors for the curious outsiders,EngrXiv:c4qr9
- Y Lao et al.,Classical topological order in the kinetics of artificial spin ice, Nature Physics, DOI: 10.1038/s41567-018-0077-0
- FC, Asymptotic behavior of memristive circuits and combinatorial optimization, , arXiv:1712.07046
- T Cui, FC, C Ududec, Correlations and Clustering in Wholesale Electricity Markets, , Physica A 492, pp 1507-1522 (2018)
- FC, P Barucca, Exactly solvable model of memristive circuits: Lyapunov functional and mean field theory , EPL 122(4) 2018
- F Medda et al., Collaborative Approach to Trade Springer Advances in Spatial Science (2017)
- FC, Locality of interaction in planar memristive circuits, PRE 96, 052206 (2017)
- FC, The mise en scene of memristive networks: effective memory, dynamics and learning, IJPED 0 1-17, Special issue 'Advances in Memristive Networks' (2017)
- FC et al, The complex dynamics of memristive circuits: analytical results and universal slow relaxation, PRE 95, 022140 (2017)
- MA Javarone et al, Conformity-drivenn agents support ordered phases in the spatial public goods game, EPL114 (2016)
- JB Geloun, FC, On an ordering-dependent generalization of tutte polynomial, J. Stat. Phys. 2017
- FC, Trajectories entropies in dynamical graphs with memory, Front. Robot. AI 20 (2016)
- FC et al, Emergence of strongly connected giant components in continuum disk-spin percolation, J. Stat. Mech. P053211 (2016)
- FC et al, Optimal growth trajectories with finite carrying capacity, PRE 94 022315 (2016)
- FC et al, On moments of the integrated exponential Brownian motion, EPJP 132:245 (2016)