CNLS Postdoctoral Research Associate
Computational neuroscience and computer vision
Office: TA-3, Bldg 1690, Room 121
Mail Stop: B284
Phone: (505) 665-4938
Fax: (505) 665-2659
- I am now a program committee member of Brain-Mind Institute, MSU, USA.
- Our team for Synthetic Cognition project received the Best Poster Award in the LDRD Day 2011.
- Our book chapter titled "Autonomous Mental Development for Neuromorphic Robots" is to be published in "Neuromorphic and Brain-based Robots: Trends and Perspectives", J. Krichmar and H. Wagatsuma (eds), Cambridge University Press, 2011. The book can be purchased from Amazon.com.
- Our paper titled "Incremental Online Object Learning in a Vehicular Radar-Vision Fusion Framework" was accepted in IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Our paper received the Best Poster Paper Award in the International Joint Conferene on Neural Networks, 2011.
- B.Sc. (2003) Electronic Information, Sichuan University, China.
- Ph.D. (2009) Computer Science, Michigan State University.
- 2004-2009 Research Assistant, Embodied Intelligence Lab, Michigan State University.
- 2004-2006 Teaching Assistant, Department of Computer Science & Engineering, Michigan State University.
- 2007 Research Intern, Toyota Technical Center, Ann Arbor.
- 2005 Research Assistant, IBM Research Collaboration Lab, College of Eli Broad Business, Michigan State University.
- Professional Training:
- 2009-2010 Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition and Biological Science Department, Carnegie Mellon University.
- Computational modeling of the brain's visual cortex
- Sparse coding and deep generative model
- Statistical learning and its application to computer vision, including visual object recognition and detection, content-based image retrieval and image compression.
- Intelligent vehicle systems and mobile robotics.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Z. Ji, W. Huang, G. Kenyon and L. M. A. Bettencourt, Hierarchical Discriminative Sparse Coding via Bidirectional Connections, IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), 2011.
- Z. Ji, J. Weng, and D. Prokhorov, Autonomous Mental Developmentfor Neuromorphic Robots, Neuromorphic and Brain-based Robots: Trends and Perspectives, J. Krichmar and H. Wagatsuma (eds), Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Z. Ji, M. Luciw, J. Weng and S. Zeng, Incremental Online Object Learning in a Vehicular Radar-Vision Fusion Framework, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 12, no. 2, 2011.
- M. I. Ham, S.P. Brumby, Z. Ji, K.Y. Sanbonmatsu, G. Kenyon, J. S. George and L. M. A. Bettencourt, Task-specific Saliency from Sparse, Hierarchical Models of Visual Cortex Compared to Eye-tracking Data for Object Detection in Natural Video Sequences, Journal of Vision, vol. 11, no. 11, 2011.
- Z. Ji and J. Weng, WWN-2:A Biologically Inspired Neural Network for Concurrent Visual Attention and Recognition, IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), 2010.
- Z. Ji, J. Weng and D. Prokhorov, Where-What Network 1: "Where" and "What" Features Assist Each Other through Top-down Connections, IEEE International Conference on Development and Learning (ICDL), 2009.
- Z. Ji and J. Weng, Learning of Sensorimotor Behaviors by a SASE Agent for Vision-based Navigation, IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), 2008.
- Z. Ji, M. Luciw and J. Weng, Epigenetic Sensorimotor Pathways and Its Application to Developmental Object Learning, IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, 2008.
- Z. Ji and D. Prokhorov, Radar-camera Fusion for Object Classification, International Conference on Information Fusion (FUSION), 2008.